Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sometimes threats do work

I have worked at one or both of my jobs every day for the last two weeks. Today is my first free day and I decided that there was only one productive thing I wanted to accomplish today: mow the lawn.

Hard to believe that the grass is tall enough to mow already, but it is. I didn't want to cut down the violets (because, y'know...violets) and it probably could have waited another week or so but come Tuesday I will start another two week stretch of work and I know I won't feel like mowing in those few moments I have to myself.

The thing is, I am a lazy, careless devil-may-care lawnmower owner. I never do the recommended winterizing of draining the gas, changing the oil and the spark plug, etc. I throw caution to the wind and know that starting the mower will probably be a major pain in the ass frustrating thing when spring rolls around.

And so it was. Much like last year, I pulled and tugged and adjusted and huffed and puffed but the mower wouldn't start. I googled "lawn mower maintenance" to see what I should have done and how to fix it now. That was depressing, let me tell you. All of the sites I checked told me that I was screwed needed to repair the damage I did by letting the mower sit all winter - that my gas was bad, that I needed a new spark plug and air filter, and that the carburetor was full of junk.


Well, I am a capable girl. I am mechanically-inclined but not stupid brave enough to dive into small engine repair with no experience. If I can't do it myself, that means I would have to pay someone else to do it and I do NOT want to spend money on something like that right now. I have goals, people, goals that cost money and that do not include mowing the lawn.

Something told me to check the spark plug. I took it out and it was wet so I dried it off with a paper towel and put it back in. More pulls on the starter cord thingy (yes, it's a technical term) but no action. So I took the spark plug out, wiped it off really well, wiped out the hole it screws into, and let the spark plug sit to dry for 15 minutes or so.

I have to admit that during this 15 minute break, I cried. Sat down on my sunny, warm patio and indulged in a soul-cleansing weep. I really try to make the best of my life but I am tired of being the only one responsible for everything. I want a partner, a husband, someone who loves me who will share the burden with me. It's funny, it's something fairly small like starting the lawn mower that always brings this out in me. I am perfectly able to take care of myself...but I want someone who wants to take care of me. But I digress...

I stood up, wiped my face, and walked to the mower. I screwed the spark plug back in place and popped the spark plug connector thingy (another technical term) on top. "This is it," I declared to the mower, God, and myself. "If this doesn't work, I quit!"

Pulled back the safety handle, grabbed the pull cord, and yanked. Hard. And the mower growled into life.

I laughed, shook my head and started to mow the yard, congratulating myself for thinking to dry off the spark plug. But I refuse to believe that's what did the trick.

Yep, sometimes threats do work.


Big smooches to those of you who told me how to do strikethroughs. I promise will try can't guarantee that I will not litter my posts with them from now on.

5 comments:

  1. Awwwwww...good for you for sticking it out and making it work!

    I wouldn't even know where to begin. ;-)

    Hope you're enjoying your weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so separated at birth.

    I HATE mowing the lawn. It's things like that, or wishing I had someone else who could take my boy swimming to practice (I don't like chlorine either lol...) that make me sad and wish even more for Sherman to be with me daily.

    But way to go! Showed that lawnmower who's boss baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re a better woman than I. I have not mowed the lawn ONE TIME since I got married. COULD I? Yes, but it's a burden I happily push off on the man. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Violet = 1 Lawnmower = 0. Go Violet!
    I'm impressed by your DIY fortitude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is HILARIOUS. I have a post scheduled for tomorrow on just this very topic. :)

    ReplyDelete